September 8th, 2010
Most people believe giving is only measured in terms of money, but there are no-cost ways to give through expressing and demonstrating your internal abundance. This is your real currency and which you use to leverage your gains, success and forward motion by helping others along the way. All of which creates businesses that thrive, expand and become a plus to the communities around them. Your positive thoughts, deeds, service, encouragement, resources, opportunities, and kind words all have value to the recipient.
Giving makes you feel part of something bigger. You might not feel that way initially, because the ego self will protest that you don’t have enough to spare, and that you’ll suffer if you give away too much. But generosity is an intrinsic part of who you are. By reactivating this part of yourself, you awaken to your higher self and curb the tendencies of your ego self. The real currency is in discovering “How can I give today?” rather than “What can I get today?” This isn’t difficult but it will take concentration and commitment to thing this way.
• It is part of your divine biological programming to want to help another person without having a hidden motive to get the better end of the deal.
• Share information about a resource with a colleague or friend to help her complete a project.
• Lend a hand to anyone who needs it, even if it means getting your hands dirty.
• Listen to others without interrupting, offering advice, or judging the situation.
• Nurture and empower others by reminding them of their resources and strength.
All of these behaviors will strengthen your organization and boost morale, even as they inspire others to operate from the higher self as well.
On the most basic level, offer a smile to a stranger on the street. Say “good morning” to a few of the other caffeine-needy folks in line at Starbucks. Give a seat to a mother struggling to juggle her children on a bus. These things cost absolutely nothing but have such enormous value.
Part 2 will be aired on the Change Agent Blog on Sept 10th